Saturday 11 July 2015

My Weekly Worthies: On Here, Over There (and Over To You)--11 July 2015

It is that time again. Another week, another round-up of weekly worthies. This time, I have given it a bit of a facelift after suggestions from readers (thanks!).

Time to settle down with a nice well-brewed drink (tea, coffee, beer...whatever your fancy) and maybe a biscuit, cake or two and catch up with what has been published during the week related to financial independence, early retirement, frugality and personal finance more generally (with a little of other bits and pieces thrown in).

As usual, last week's bumper post pulled in a mighty amount of interest from you all. Hopefully there is plenty in here to catch your interest again.

As always, this is going to include your favourite articles "On Here" (that is on The Dividend Drive) and my favourite articles "Over There" (that is, on other personal finance sites I read).

And "Over To You"? Well that is an invite for you to highlight any articles you came across that you found interesting and not included in the list below.

Anyway, here goes my list for 11 July. Enjoy!

PS: If you want to look at the archive of previous weekly round-up articles then head over to my Every(ish) Posts page. Here you will find all the articles (except portfolio purchase-related ones) published on the Dividend Drive as well as every weekly round-up to date. Take a look.



"On Here"

NOTE: The "On Here" list is purely quantitative. It is the posts with the most unique reads that week (not including other weekly round-up lists). Here's a little legend for you to explain the symbols:  = newly published; ▲ = moved-up list since last week; ▼ = moved down list since last week; ▬ = same place as last week.


An unusual one this week. First, three fresh posts were published this week which has dramatically altered the look of the Top 10 list. Also, we have another three-way tied 10th place.We also have a number of massive jumps up the list.

Notable in the "green" is my March 2014 first quarter goals progress post. This suggests that many of you out there are eagerly(?) awaiting my goals report for the first half. It is coming. I have just not had time to polish it off yet!

A less surprising returner to the Top 10 is my original purchase post for AstraZeneca. Obviously, a combination of a continued low share price and my recent fresh AZN purchase helped it claw its way back onto the list.

Anyway, without any further ado, here is my breakdown for the week beginning 4 July 2015:


  1.  Taxing Times: Dividend Tax Changes in the UK Government's June 2015 Budget
  2.  BUY: AstraZeneca (AZN)--Further into Pharma?
  3.  BUY: Rolls-Royce Holdings (RR)--Preparing to Power Future Earnings?
  4. June 2015: Dividend Income, Trading Activity and Portfolio Snapshot
  5. March 2015 Goals Progress Report: First Quarter
  6. The Maestro's Movers: Neil Woodford's Big Buys and Sells in May 2015
  7. A Minor Miner Addition: South32 Joins My Portfolio After BHP Billiton Demerger
  8. BUY: Legal & General--Growth and Income Going for a Song?
  9. BUY: AstraZeneca (AZN)--Healthy Future in Healthcare?
  10. Another tied 10th place this week:
    1. Investing by Divesting: Switching Clutter Capital for Investing Capital (UPDATED)
    2. 5 Cheap US Stock Brokers who accept UK-resident Account Holders
    3. The Triple 60 Challenge: Designing a Simple Daily Decluttering Regime to Minimalist Nirvana


"Over There"

NOTE: The "Over There" is nothing like the "On Here" list. It is qualitative through and through and is simply chosen by me from what I read (and mostly commented on) during the week. It is not really a ranking but a motley bag of (excellent) items.

So what about articles published elsewhere? Here is a little list of what caught my eye.

This again is a wonderful mix of fascinating and high-quality articles. Like last week, I actually found it quite a challenge to keep up with the sheer volume of articles.

Plenty of choice picks here (should I include an editor's picks list in future lists do you think?) but you will note that, unsurprisingly, we see a very heft number of monthly reviews. Also, this week I have included a separate UK budget section. After all, if you're interested in personal finance in the UK, the UK budget is not a little important.

Anyway, hopefully you enjoy reading these as much as I did.


FIRE (Financial Independence/Retiring Early) Planning and Strategy

FIRE (Financial Independence/Retiring Early) Progress

General Investing

Specific Investing Analysis/Purchases

Budgeting and Frugality
Misc

UK Budget-related

"Over to You"

Anyway, that is it for this week. And here, as promised an age ago (or rather a few lines above), the "Over to You" bit.

What did you read this week that you found really interesting related to investing, personal finance or financial independence?

Make a comment below and include a link. Then we can all take a look!


Like what you have read?
Sign up to receive FREE email updates when new content is published:

Why not also follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook?

Creative Commons image reproduced from Flickr user Ruz

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my post! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Nicola. Same to you! Look forward to reading your future posts!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the list of your "worthies". Lots of great articles to read through and I unfortunately missed several of these. But that's what the weekend is for. Catching up! Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PIP. I know what you mean. Even putting together the above list makes me realise how much top-quality stuff I miss. That's why I "open the floor" to others to propose their own additions.

      Good luck catching up! I may find the time to do the same, I hope!

      Delete
  3. Hi DD
    Thanks for a great update, which has really helped me with my catch up reading! All the best with your recent purchases - have my eye on AZ but not pulled the trigger yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, weenie! I am glad it was useful to you to catch up on some reading. There is so much out there it is quite a challenge to keep on top of it!

      Yes, I was lucky with AZN. I seem to have topped up at a pretty much perfect time. Over the long-term it certainly looks a good bet!

      Delete
  4. Hey DD,

    Thanks for the mention! Doing my best over there :) And thanks for this thorough list, I had missed plenty of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, DL. You most certainly are. Glad it was useful to you. I have missed many more, but there is a limit to how much you can work your way through in a week!

      Delete
  5. Nice list of reads as usual, DD :) I can't wait to dig in and read all the great content. Thank you very much for the inclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ryan. My pleasure. Enjoy going through them all. Plenty of interest in there I am sure!

      Delete